Thursday, May 29, 2008

Eating a lot and Getting Confused

I wrote out my blog entries the old fashioned way while in Russia because I didn't feel like trying to type them on a Blackberry or paying to use the hotel's "business center" which is really just a particle board desk with a computer on it sitting in a back hallway. So, I will just write the actual date of the entry at the beginning of my posts. Here goes . . . 

May 19/20
We're here again in Russia. We arrived safely after some minor delays. The flight over here always leaves me feeling exhausted and rather confused. I know it's Tuesday, but thanks to sleep deprivation and an eight hour time difference, it still feels like Monday. 
Mom and Riley dropped us off at the airport yesterday morning. This is when the eating started. The last time we made this trip, we were starving by the time we arrived, so we decided to avoid that unpleasantness this time around by grabbing a quick bite to eat before catching our plane to NY.  I ordered a Dr. Pepper and a hamburger satisfying both my desire for caffeine  and my doctor's order to eat a hunk of meat the size of my hand every day. On our flight to NY, we were given a light snack of cookies, crackers and pop. Upon our arrival at JFK, Jeff and I took advantage of his new company credit card to gain access to the business class lounge. While relaxing there with its quiet atmosphere, comfortable chairs and people generally dressed better than we were, we decided to take full advantage of the complimentary snacks and beverages. We munched on goldfish and pretzels and had another glass of pop. We were preparing to head for our gate when they set out a spread of warm appetizers, cheeses and sweets. We naturally felt it would be a good idea to fill up our plates since it was already 3:30 and the horror of Polish Airway's meals was still fresh in our minds from the last trip. 
We checked in at the ticket counter and were informed that the plane would begin boarding in fifteen minutes. My hubby looked at me and prophetically smirked, not believing we would actually board on time. An hour and a half later, we were listening to the tenth announcement that the maintenance crew was working real hard to solve the problem (they wouldn't tell us what that problem was) and that the plane was now delayed until 7:00. 
With nothing better to do, we decided to go get some supper. We found a nice sit-down restaurant and ordered. I wish I could remember the name of the place because it turned out to be the classiest airport joint I've even been to. Jeff laughed at me when I ordered the Kobe beef corn dogs, but they were really fantastic. The presentation alone would have made any Iron Chef proud. 
We returned to the gate after dinner and found Delta employees trying to appease angry travelers with beverages and snacks. Not being one to turn down anything free, I grabbed a Coke. If you're counting, that's my 4th carbonated beverage of the day. They finally began boarding the plane three hours later than planned. Jeff had scored us some awesome exit row seats. When the flight attendant asked if we were willing to perform all the duties required of us in the event of an emergency, Jeff answered something along the lines of, "Heck yes!" The extra leg room was wonderful and we were able to catch a few winks. Supper was served at around 9:30. It wasn't too bad - not Kobe beef corn dogs, mind you, but not Polish mystery meat either. I was beginning to feel like a Hobbit with all these extra meals worked into the day.
The rest of the flight was long but relatively uneventful. I watched some old sitcoms and did some reading. (Thanks for the magazines, Becky!) We breezed through Moscow customs, being seasoned veterans of the process and were taken to our hotel in the mid afternoon. We crashed for a while, and now I've got nothing better to do than sit around recording everything I ate yesterday. 
I miss Riley terribly. Right now she is probably playing at the park with her favorite cousin, Maria. I am so thankful for everyone back home who is taking such good care of her while we are gone. Soon our family will be complete and all this separation will be over. 

1 comment:

Mills Family said...

Bring on the BLOGS!! YIPPEEEE!! I can't wait to hear about your second trip!!