Saturday, August 29, 2009

New School

It's that time of year again - back to school. As much as we liked Trinity preschool last year, we opted to take Riley to Wooster Christian School this year. She has been talking all summer about her new school, especially since her buddy Ethan would be in her class. She was a ball of energy and excitement the night before school started. It was another story at the door to the classroom the next day. Riley was crying and clinging to my leg. I was trying to reassure her while keeping the drop-off brief and steering her into the room. Colin, on the other hand, wanted to go to school. I had to hang onto his arm to keep him from running in the room. He realized that he wasn't going to school yet and was throwing a tantrum while imitating a wet noodle. Can you picture this? I had one crying child with all her limbs wrapped around a leg while another was trying to escape my grasp by going limp and shrieking. Riley's teacher had mercy on me and disentangled Riley before leading her into the classroom. She came home from her first day all smiles and declared that she liked her new school. I guess all the drop-off drama was quickly forgotten.
I didn't get a chance to snap a picture before we left on the first day so I got one on the way home. Riley is proudly showing off her new tote bag. All the children in preschool got a bag with their name embroidered on it. I like them because they are color coded by class so I can learn the names of the kids in Riley's class.

I will leave you with a few recent quotes from the kiddos.

Riley: What are we having for dinner?
Me: Chicken Parmigiana.
Riley: Oh. That sounds . . .umm. . . not tasty.

Me: Colin, what do want to be when you grow up?
Colin: Judge . . . pirate.
(I don't know if he wants to be a judge and a pirate or a pirate judge.)

Colin: Let da wile wumpus start!
("Let the wild rumpus start" Colin is quoting his current favorite book "Where the Wild Things Are." This is also one of the longest string of words I've heard him utter.)

No comments: