Saturday, September 19, 2009

Meet Me In Wayne County

"Meet me in Wayne County . . .County,
Meet me at the fair.
Don't tell me that the cows are mooing anywhere but there."
Ok, so maybe Judy Garland would roll over in her grave to hear my version of "Meet Me In St. Louis," but the fair is such a big event around here, it seems like there should be a song about it.

The much anticipated event has once again come and gone. We made it to the fair twice in the last week. The first was Saturday night with the Lees. I took the kids again on Tuesday for stroller day. My dad met us over there after he finished some work, or "put some bad guys in jail," as Riley likes to say. As the kids get older, they seem to enjoy a wider variety of activities the fair has to offer. No trip is complete without partaking of the fine cuisine. There are so many healthy choices like deep fried corn dogs, deep fried cheesecake, and deep fried lard on a stick (I made that one up.) We love the french fries loaded with salt and vinegar. On Tuesday, when Riley was offered ice cream, she asked if she could have some more fries instead.
Colin is entering a trans-fat induced trance as he chows down on another helping of fries. That or he's people watching.Madeleine is trying to decide if taking a sip of her drink would prohibit her from eating any more fries.

In years past, the fair has been all about the animals. This year the rides edged out the sheep and chickens as the most favored attraction. Colin was absolutely fearless and wanted to do everything. Riley had fond memories of some of the rides from last year and wasn't about to be shown up by her little brother.
This had better be the only time I see Riley riding on the back of some guy's motorcycle. She was sooooo excited that she got to go on some of the rides with her buddy Ethan.
Both kids loved the roller coaster. Riley was a little reluctant to ride until she saw her friends Clair and Sophie get on.
This picture cracks me up because I have no idea who Riley is waving at. She looks like she's performing in a show and acknowledging the audience. The jet skis were very jerky, and the kids had fun throwing their heads around in an exaggerated fashion.
I used to love the scrambler when I was younger. I think I'm starting to show my age when I got dizzy just watching the kids spin around.
One ride was so fast, it left skid marks. Actually Colin got these crawling over the tires on the SUVs. That's grease all over his legs. He was pretty proud of his tracks and was annoyed when Mommy broke out the wet wipes.
There are always a few "fair couples" walking around. You just want to go up to them and say, "Hey, knock it off. I didn't come here to see some PDA and" . . . hey wait a minute, that my daughter!I just love the pygmy goats. I could have put this little guy in the stroller with Colin and taken him home. Jeff might not have appreciated that so he stayed at the fair (the goat, not Jeff.)
And now I will leave you with some Wayne County humor.

No comments: